Week 8 POD Update

CA1

After listening to the vocal few more times, I feel that the vocal should be recorded again, as it sounds too breathy. I imagined some parts of the song to have falsetto, but I think that it is overdone. I would need to communicate and make changes with the vocal with Karena.

Another problem I had while recording vocal was the pronunciation. Although Karena is capable of singing in Korean, she still had problem pronouncing some of the words clearly enough. I went through with Karena how to pronounce some of the words she had difficulties with. Then, I managed to get some better takes with clearer pronunciation.

Initially, I was planning to record Crystal, who is a DMAT alumni, for the vocal. I managed to get in contact with her through Leon. However, upon listening to my demo, she mentioned that she needs the key of the song down by 4 semitones. 4 semitone was too low which made by chord progression sound way too muddy to have the same feel as the original key the song was written into. So instead of recording crystal, I decided to record Karena for vocal, who still had difficulties singing in the original key, but I just had to bring the key of the song down by a semitone.

Link to lead sheet and lyrics:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HbVjYqcCzLoiuyJYFWN9wvFkuwsRIl0G?usp=sharing



CA2

I managed to come up with a chord progression I would like to use and an idea for main riff of the song. However, I could not make any more progress with the song due to time constrain.

Eventually, I wasn't satisfied with the idea I had. Also, I realised that due to time constraint, it would be difficult to write something extremely highly technical. Thus, I decided to gather more references to see what kind of direction that I could take. I found some bands such as Intervals and Polyphia, that plays more of melodic lines rather than being extremely technical. I feel that I should take my song to that direction, to play important melodic lines with some technical runs. I would need to play more 7 string guitars and generate more ideas to be able to come up with something substantial and satisfactory.

The main problem I had with progression with this song is that it took a really complicated and long process to acquire my 7 string guitar. It was an unexpected situation when I was noticed that I require a permit to get the guitar to be shipped. Although I managed to get the permit as soon as possible, it look another 2-3 more weeks for the guitar to be delivered to me. Even so, the guitar has few faults, such as wiring on pickups not done well, causing it to be somewhat troublesome to play. I tried using my current guitar to sort of come up with the idea, but it did not go well. Trying to come up with a 7 string guitar arrangement with 6 string guitar was a big challenge, and the end product was not what I was satisfied with. I would really need more time to work on this song. With very little time that I had, I could not come up with an idea that I would be happy with. Thus, so far I could not make any significant progress with the song.


Comments

Popular Posts