POD Week 7 Progress Update

CA1

As most of the parts are already recorded, I did an initial mix of the song to show how I would want it to sound like. Although detailed editing such as getting rid of some breath in the vox track is not done yet, I am imagining the song to be the way I mixed. However, I believe that the guitar parts could be improved, as I think that the playing could be cleaner.

I have not recorded the backing vocals yet, so I would have to leave that out of the picture until I record them. Other than that, I decided to refer to few commercial songs out there for my mixing. I wondered how I could mix the guitars, as the rhythm guitar part sounds awkward when I double tracked it. So I decided to just use one guitar for each rhythm and lead guitar parts, without double tracking. I decided to refer to mixing done for indie bands such as Hyukoh, 10cm and other indie bands. I noticed that if there is no double tracking for guitar parts, they pan their guitar slightly to one side which prevents the guitar from taking away too much attention from the vocal. I decided to try that out on my mix, panning the rhythm guitar to one side and the lead guitar to the other side. It turns out that the panning sounds somehow imbalanced, thus I would have to be more careful with the volume levels when it comes to the final mix. For now, I decided to automate the guitar tracks slightly so that they have some dynamics with the flow of the song.

I recorded bass guitar for the song. Initially, I tried using the API lunchbox to experiment with the tone using the modules that are installed in the lunchbox. However, I could not get the tone I would like. It sounded thin with a lot of high end, rather than a thick, low sounding bass to fill up the space in the song. I ended up re-recording the bass guitar part, just DI straight to the Logic Session. Also, I made some changes with playing to play less ghost notes. This is because I noticed that too many ghost notes makes the mix sound muddy and sounds less synchronised with the guitars.

CA2

I received my guitar on Monday, thus I am working on getting used to the feel of the 7 string guitar. It turns out that as the scale length is slightly longer than regular guitar, I would need to stretch my fingers slightly more and commit the fret positions into my muscle memory. Meanwhile, I re-composed the introduction part of the song to sound fuller and make more use of the 7 string guitar. I thought of using a drop A tuning but I later changed to standard tuning as I felt that playing at standard tuning made it easier to play the chord progression I came up for the song.

Comments

Popular Posts