POD Week 6 Update

CA1

After discussing with Karena, I decided to tune down the key of the song by a semitone. This made it easier for her to sing. Meanwhile, I had to postpone my instrumentation recording to after recording Karena, as I had to confirm with Karena that it is in a key Karena can sing. Although I recorded the bass part, I had to discard the recording as it was very poor in timing and clarity. I decided to put less "finger noise" into my instrumentation for guitar and bass guitar as I realised it becomes a distraction in a full mix, despite how it sounds interesting as individual. I composed a backing vocal part that would act like a pad. I asked Francine for help to record the backing vocal, as I believe her vocal type would suit the atmosphere of the song as backing vocal.

For this week, I will be focused on recording the instrumentation, with the changed key. I added a couple more guitar parts as I thought the song does not sound bright enough. I believe the lead guitar parts would work well to fill the space more at the same time make the song brighter. Guitar solo will be added to the song, between the instrumental space I have made available towards the end of the song.

For guitar recording, I decided to use the Smarvo amplifier as it produces more higher frequency than the Marshall amplifier in Studio B. I recorded with DI box, e609, sm57, 4081 and PR30 to compare and see what microphone would sound adequate for the mix. Turns out I prefer the sound of 4081 and PR 30 for clean tone. It sounds not too harsh, which seems suitable for rhythm guitar part.

For lead guitar tone, I decided to try using BIAS amplifier modelling plugin, as I couldn't get the tone I desired with the Smarvo amplifier. As I could tweak and adjust however I want the amplifier sound to sound like with the software, I managed to get something close to my preference. However, the tone of the guitar solo didn't sound that desirable to me, so I will be going back to adjusting that. As I recorded DI for all the parts, I could just re-amplify as and when I would like to adjust the tone of the guitar.

CA2

I have confirm that the 7 string guitar will arrive the following week. The progress of my CA2 has been lagging behind very much. I believe upon receiving the guitar, the progress of my CA2 can be much faster. Meanwhile, I am going to work more on composing a chord progression and melody line for the song that would sound interesting on guitar.

Comments

Popular Posts